Portraits Photoshoot 1



Today I did a photoshoot for my portraits assignment. I am sticking with the theme of the 'Secrets' song and began to experiment with this idea. I want to have two main characters - an evil best friend and an innocent best friend. The photos will show the evil friend sharing a secret with the innocent friend and then killing her, coinciding with the lyric "two can keep a secret if one of them is dead".

I've cast Ros as the evil friend due to her dark hair and will contrast this with my friend Viki's light hair and features. I want to, ideally, use mirrors to project the images of Ros onto Viki similar to Taylor Swift's style video. I styled Ros with a black, lace dress to create a Black Swan sort of look.

In today's shoot I took photos of Ros that I will then use to project on Viki. I shot the photos in Victoria Park, making use of natural lighting and surroundings. I thought having a forest-style background would add to the gruesome, dark theme of the photos and experimented with positioning Ros behind branches and thorns. I thought that having her hiding behind objects would add to the secretive nature of the photos and would help to build Ros's character. I asked her to do the trademark "shh" from the Pretty Little Liars opening credits and this ended up leading to my favourite image (shown above).

As the photos were taken in natural lighting I felt they were too warm, and bright for the theme. I took the image into Photoshop where I darkened the entire image and increased the contrast. I used the 'Burn' tool, to intensify shadows around the outer corners and also in the shadows of Ros's face. I used the 'Dodge' took to intensify the highlights in her face which I think makes it look a lot harsher.

I found that Ros naturally has a very innocent look and it was hard to add digital elements to make her look more menacing. With this in mind I have decided to reshoot these images add a lace cape to Ros and fake blood. I think this will help her to get into character more and I also felt, as not much of the dress is shown, the lace isn't as obvious. I enjoy the way photographers such as Daniele and Iango use lace to create a secretive atmosphere and that's something I want to achieve myself .


No comments